Saturday, September 4, 2010

With apologies

Hi everyone:

Years ago, when I was writing frequent updates to the blog I kept for Patty while she was trying to make peace with her wonky heart, I was criticized by one of Patty's doctors for sharing so much information about her condition. I had never been dishonest, nor was I overtly critical of those providing her care. All I tried to do was to keep people who cared about Patty informed about what was going on with her and, to the extent possible, to show my love for my wife through a difficult time. Patty was deeply hurt that anyone would criticize the blog, because it was a labor of love.

This blog, too, has been a labor of love. Kathleen is not only my sister-in-law, but one of my closest friends. For the 10 years I've known her, I doubt I've ever gone more than a couple of days without having some contact with her. When Kathleen learned her cancer had come back and found its way into her spine, I offered to write a blog on her behalf, so that (a) we would all have the opportunity to stay close with Kathleen when her ability to make time for everyone was compromised by illness, and (b) her family would have less of a burden answering the same questions many times over (a challenge we faced, in spades, when Patty was sick).

Recently, I've received comments directly and indirectly to suggest that some have taken issue with the content of this blog. To be honest, I cannot understand this, and I find it profoundly hurtful. However, it is what it is. Rather than have people start discussions about who said what and who's done this or that, I would rather spare Kathleen and her family any grief that may be coming from this blog's existence. And, to those who have been in some way offended by its content, I apologize...but with one caveat: this was never an "official" source of information about Kathleen, but an ongoing note from a friend, about a very dear, and very sick, friend.

At least for the time being, I am opting to no longer update this blog. Those of you who know both Patty and I personally can receive updates via email if you let us know you'd like them (contact us at omara_croft@yahoo.com). To those of you who have valued this blog and may now be excluded from updates, I apologize. I apologized to Kathleen tonight; it feels like I'm taking away what I thought was a gift to her.

I would hope, regardless of any perceptions any of us may own, that all of us want the best for Kathleen and her family, and that people can understand that my decision to write this blog, as well as my decision to step away from it, were never motivated by anything more than my love for Kathleen. If anyone reads this and chooses to dispute my motivations, you're entitled to your opinions...Kathleen has always known exactly what this was all about, and that's enough for me.

Love,
Brian

4 comments:

  1. This is a great disappointment. This is a labor of love and a gift to Kathleen and, to be honest, you shouldn't let anyone take that away from you and, more importantly, her. Not now. Are those choice few who have a problem with this blog going to take over? Are they going to be the ones that take the time to call everyone? Email everyone? and update them like you have? This saddens me. I love what you have done for her and I hate to see you discontinue. If this is what Kathleen wants, why can't you keep writing? This was wrapped in love and good intentions. There is no reason why that should be overshadowed by other people. Don't quit the blog, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad...I can't say that I've "enjoyed" the posts, but they certainly kept me posted on Kathleen's travails. Brian and Patty have been especially generous in helping me understand what is happening with Kathleen and her health, and for that I thank both of you. More importantly, you’ve helped Kathleen every step of the way through this ordeal, and for that I really thank you (apologies to Daniel Tosh).
    If you decide to drop the blog posts, please keep Sharon and me posted:
    k.omara@comcast.net
    somara@comcast.net
    Love, Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Brian, your love pours out through your writings. We all feel it.

    Stay as strong as you possibly can. Love, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. well Brain i hope that this will change your mind and keep the blog going. Every morning and evening i sign on to this blog to know what exactly is going on. Kathy herself has told me to talk to Patty or Brian because they can explain it better than her. I even told Patty and you myself that you both have a very very good way of explaining everything and if i were ever to get sick i would like to have Brian take care of me. LOL
    please keep up the blog
    love
    cindy

    ReplyDelete