Monday, September 20, 2010

Still struggling

Hi everyone:

Thought I'd share some of the photos we snapped this weekend--whenever Kathleen was alert and able. She's spent much of the time lately feeling either exhausted or nauseous. What's more, the chemo causes her pain in her muscles and bones, especially in her thighs. We hosted her at our home for most of the weekend, which meant Patty was able to give her the round-the-clock TLC the chemo insists upon.

Kathleen came out for a couple of hours for a face-painting fundraiser at Patty's school early Friday evening. Even bundled up in a comfortable lawn chair, she was too weak to last through the event, so I took her back to our house. She wants so much to be a part of things, but just doesn't have the fuel in the tank to sustain any activity for long.

On Saturday, Don and a friend of his came over to watch some boxing; we cooked up a major feast and, later, shaved the head of Denise, our good neighbor and friend. On Sunday, our neighbor Trish stopped in to say hello to Kathleen. It seems Kathleen makes friends wherever she goes.

All in all, Kathleen made the most of a lousy weekend. This morning, I'm at her house to keep an eye on her while I work. She's feeling miserable and is having real challenges keeping any food or liquids down, so I believe Don will be calling the doctor sometime this morning. I suspect she will soon need fluids and perhaps blood products. Everyone's hope is to avoid another prolonged hospitalization.

If anyone happens to have a wheelchair kicking around that they could loan us, could you please let us know? Kathleen is able to participate in more activities (and life in general) if she's not required to walk any distance.

Keep those positive thoughts coming...and check out the pics below.

Love,
Brian

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed seeing you this weekend! As I had told you, you continue to amaze me with your strength and never ending positive attitude through such a difficult and painful time.

    Your appreciation for my support in the hair shaving is really touching. You gave me so much support recently with my non-cancerous breast tumor, I have learned a great deal from you and from going through having my tumor removed. I have also realized that it is fulfilling something I have wanted to work on for a very long time. That is not worrying so much about what other people think of me. So, I want to thank you for that.

    Keep fighting "trooper"!

    See you soon,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete