Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Paracentesis Round Two, Plus More Frustration

Hi everyone:

Yesterday afternoon, Kathleen went through a second round of paracentesis to remove the fluid from her abdominal region. This time, things went much more smoothly and with far less discomfort. I was able to sit in the room as the procedure was taking place. The doctor showed us, on ultrasound, most of Kathleen's major organs. All were completely surrounded with fluid. When the doctor pointed out Kathleen's spleen, she said, "It looks bigger than I would have thought." The doctor replied, "It's a lot bigger than it's supposed to be."

In total, another 1.95 liters of fluid, which looks a lot like dark apple juice, was removed. One of the techs in the room said that fluid of that color typically means the liver is in some way compromised. This fluid, like the fluid from her last procedure, was sent out for analysis.

Here's the sucky part: almost all of the fluid is back this morning.

We're hoping to hear back about the analysis/cytology of the fluid from the first paracentesis procedure today. As soon as I know something, I'll share it here.

As you might imagine, Kathleen is pretty frustrated with being in the hospital.

Love,
Brian

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear the fluid has returned so quickly. Hopefully, they will get this figured out soon, so you can return home where I'm sure your much more comfortable.

    The pictures are great! Again, you continue to amaze me with your strength. The ability to maintain that smile and pop in a little humor with all of this very frustrating stuff going, on is the mark of a very incredible person.

    Hope to see you soon!

    Love, The Madsen Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen,
    I think about you daily and I pray everyday you are soon home and pain free.

    See you soon,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dearest Kathleen,

    I lit a candle at church on Sunday for you. You are never far from me. Never far from my heart. All of you are with me always. I wish I could make this go away. We all wish that. Know this -- we love you so very very much.

    You are an incredible woman and your smile lights up the world. I love you and I pray always for you, Donny, your children and for all the Callahan's, O'Mara's and McMurchie's.

    Here is a GREAT BIG FAT HUG! With love forever, Maureen (your cousin)

    ReplyDelete